So I decided to start blogging while sitting in church. Figured I'd get something out of it rather than just being annoyed the entire time I sit through the sermon. You might ask, "why even go to church then"? Well, there's something odd about the time and place I live that people who follow Jesus are under the impression that we are supposed to go to church, so as much as I can't stand it and have an endless amount of reasons why, ill save that for another time.
Something I notice, we like to gather. As humans we like to be part it the crowd. We tend to feel safe when we're all in the boat and going in the same direction. That's fine, I feel that way a lot but I personally like to trailblaze and drive myself rather than be lead. Some of us are gifted to lead, to drive, to make the path and we feel uncomfortable going in a direction we do to want to go. Some of us feel powerless to drive ourselves, but I supposed most of us feel somewhat able to at least steer ourselves in the right places.
Another thing to consider. Worship: the time before the service that we sing, place songs, shout, dance for Jesus, whatever it might be. There is something fantastic and transparent about raising our voices corporately to Jesus. It's got to be such a picture of heaven. The scripture that talks about in the last days that something like "God is Spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” It doesn't matter how high you are at the time, what sin you just committed, how much porn you just viewed, how you yelled at your wife just before you dropped off your kids, how messed up you think theologically, whatever! Whoever and whatever, wherever you are Jesus is Jesus and when we call on his name he is there. He is lifted up, he is with you, with us, he is blessed and we are blessed. There is something fantastic about singing to Jesus and for Jesus and it is by far a universal thought, feeling, and understanding that we all agree on in the midst of the moment.
I used to sing and lead worship and I can remember that when we would life up the name of Jesus it just resonated with everyone all the time. There truly is power in the name of our creator. Jesus truly brings healing and power and joy and peace and love and all those things we all long for, it's what Jesus brings when he is made the point and purpose.
A few things I can't stand. Not just me but I find a huge amount of fellow believers agree in these issues. Membership: it's pretty much falling I to the same deal as the Corinthians church as saying we are of Appolos, or we are of Paul. It's understandable from a business perspective or in a building fund, even a capitalist mentality. But when it comes to Jesus and even bibilical models of "church" where and in what compassity does membership fall? Aren't we already members? Why do I have to dissect this theology to such a detail that we exclude and now dogmatically disregard what is clearly not a concrete plain as day direction of Jesus? It's become, "believe this way and agree to this way of thinking or you cannot and will not be part of our crew". It's become a place that easily and unfortunately excludes and brings more harm than good to those just wanting to know Jesus and be part of a crew of people that want the same.
That's just a few ideas on the anti-membership mentality that I've always been on. Next is Tithing: what's the point? Paul...why should we pay you for "preaching" the gospel? Because you're worthy and should make a living by the gospel? It's "biblical". The laborer is worthy of his wages? Fine, great argument. I don't care, a lot of people don't care. Ill pass a few bucks to a good teacher, if he's good, cares about people, and really wants to see people grow and be more in love with Jesus. But finance a 25000sf building, the 80 people on staff, the media, the electricity, the amount of time and administrative stuff waisted on this and that? I'd rather not, this isn't a synagogue, this isn't a catholic cathedral. I give to those that need it. I'm challanged even now to give more to those that are truly in need.
It also seems to me that we are "handicapped" on church. I see a ton, a huge amount of people that are "new". Where are the old ones? The ones that were saved and transformed and blown away by Jesus, what happened to them? Where did they go? They're not sitting here on Sunday. They're not at this church anyway. I don't see excitement. I see people getting bogged down with rules and theology that brings more mediocrity than transformation. Gosh! I just can't believe how annoying church is to me. It's like a bad comedy that doesn't end...it just goes on and on and on.
I need fresh fire. I need fresh wind. Where I where oh God is your spirit? I can guarantee it doesn't dwell at the modern day American church. Oh the church isn't about you it's about others! Duh, I know, I've heard that one over and over for the past 15 years. I don't want others to go, I don't want to invite them, I don't want to let them know what I do on Sundays. I'm ashamed, I'm embarrassed, I'm saddened by what we've come to. It's sad this is it. It's so not! It's not even close to what Jesus wants or desires. We've put him in a box and made it plenty comfortable for the majority to blame others for the shadows we hide from.
Next Sunday, I will tourture myself and blogg again while I sit here in this typical modern day life sucking church. Till then, may Jesus do some radical things in your life and may you long to be more like him and please help others see him how he desires to be seen. Jesus is all and in all, he's freakin awesome!
No comments:
Post a Comment