
My wife and I have finally made it to our honeymoon. We were just about five years late but it was worth it. We got married in Las Vegas on the 12th of March 2000 and we never went on a true honeymoon. So we saved airline miles, got a timeshare from the in-laws and bought some tickets to Disney World.
The sweet thing is that my mother-in-law came to watch the kids back in Oregon so my lovely bride and I can have a week alone. We are pretty stoked and today was just the flight and a trip to Buffalo Wild Wings and Downtown Disney. While there, we even watched a movie at the theater; it has been a sweet time so far.
I am amazed that every movie I watch lately I tend to look for spiritual overtones to them. And I have come to find out that they are found in almost every movie I see. Now it may not be the sound theological doctrine portrayed but it nonetheless has some spiritual tone in some way or another.
The movie we saw tonight was Benchwarmers. I love stupid comedies that make no sence and have no real plot to them. I guess it makes me feel like I actually have a life when I watch movies made by old Saturday Night Live cast members. However, during a part of the movie towards the end Rob Schneider, the movies main character, is caught portraying someone that he's not. When he was a kid he picked on others and bullied them around and now after feeling guilty for so many years he pretty much starts this baseball team for kids that are bullied. He became the icon for the poor kids that were always poked fun at and weren't good enough to play sports, thus the kids becoming benchwarmers.

After a little fame, somebody recognized him as the big bully in school and now his cover was blown. He felt remorse for not being truthful but he claimed he just wanted to make up for all the pain he caused in the past. Feeling so bad, he goes and apologizes to the kid he picked on the worst. The next day everyone is happy and they live happily ever after. No not really but I pretty much just told you the whole movie, sorry.
But the part that made me think and wonder, like I always do, was when he took that time to humble himself enough to face up to what he did in the past. He was doing all this good stuff because of the pain he felt for being so lame during his life. It really portrays humanity as a whole. Now I know comparing "Benchwarmers" to humanity is a little out there but I find many similarities. We feel guilt for some bad thing we've done; we do all that we can to make it better by doing outside religious things. We believe that if we can make it high enough on the good list than in some magical way nobody will remember the bad that follows us like a shadow. But like in the movie, when the truth came out, there was no forgiveness until there was realness, honest, true-humble-repentance.
That is why I love to follow Christ. When He knew what it was before Him, He bore the Cross, despising the shame. Chrsit humbled Himself. He was transparent, vulnerable; He was as real as He could be.
I struggle in this life; I'm trying to always portray myself as something I'm not. How I pray, hope, and desire that I, that we too would humble ourselves, be vulnerable, be transparent and be real before our families and closest friends. Because it doesn't matter if we have fame, a following, or even a title, when we are found out most all will forsake us and cast us down as a hypocrite. Let us not put on that face which covers who we are but rather, let us put on Jesus Christ who for the joy that was set before Him, He endured the cross.
No comments:
Post a Comment