Saturday, June 24, 2006

"Believing with liberty"

Imagine what it would be like to think for yourself. Imagine what would happen if you were given the opportunity to start fresh without any outside criticism. I believe that it's possible to change the way we believe but not necessarily what we believe.

And you may ask what the point of changing the way I believe is.

I feel that we as believers and lovers of God are trained and molded in the image of our mentors. Now that in itself in not a bad thing. But I believe that in time we begin to heretically stand upon theologies and dogmas that were handed down by our fathers in Christ and not necessarily Christ Himself. I have come to realize that the wars of religion are fought upon our fundamentalism. We have passed Christ in our pursuit to achieve greatness and we have laid aside all that was pure and honest. We have separated ourselves from one another for the sake of keeping our God in a tidy little box.

We are forced these days to agree with the mainstream beliefs of our fundamental brothers and sisters. And if we bite the hand that feeds us we might as well forget about the influence we could have made to the people listening.

I am here to say, screw that. There is a movement of believers today that are fed up with the status quo that our founders once taught us, just as they were with their fathers in the faith. The time has passed in which we are to stand upon the foundation of Christ alone, putting away all dogmas that once held us down. The time has come to say we will not follow any longer but now we will be leaders into new and fresh breaths of the Spirit of God.

My friends, may we lay aside all that once bound us down by the distinctives of our denominations. May we walk in a way that brings liberty to our thinking and believing. There is an awesome way of living fully for Christ and not for the institutions that surround us. Let us seek first the Spirit of Christ and there we will find true, lasting liberty to all the ways we think and believe.

No comments: