Sunday, July 02, 2006

"Am I really a Heretic?"

As I study church history I see many in the faith took risk that were damaging to their relationships with others that once agreed wholly with their doctrines. It seems that these revolutionaries were once pupils to their fathers in the faith, but with a rebellion to the status quo, these so-called heretics cast off all and desired a deeper calling in their faith toward God. They understood and experienced what the norm was at the time but they wanted more and knew that something was in store for them in the future. They knew that God wanted to move, they seemed to not really know where or what God was doing but they were willing to take those steps which so many seldom take. And I find excitement in this. Why? Because I see people taking risk for the kingdom of God, I see people saying I want more, I see people partaking of more. Christ is everlasting and He is never changing. He is deep, He is so much more than we could ever think or imagine. So why not experience more of Him? Why not go beyond any place we’ve ever been before?

Are we considered heretics, when we say we need change? Are we heretics when we shout out for more, just because our way of believing doesn’t meet up to your standard? Are we in the wrong when we say we want something beyond what we have at this moment? Doesn't Paul say to press on toward that upward call? Doesn't he say to walk circumspectly, redeeming the time? Doesn't Christ say occupy until I come? I feel that we are wasting our time arguing about whose right and who’s wrong, when we argue over meaningless words rather than focusing on our purpose and passion which is Jesus. And why must we defend our stance in such a way that it puts our brother or sister on the sideline and outside of the game entirely?

I believe that there is a passion within our time here and now, a passion that goes beyond who we are and what we are all about. Jesus wants more. Jesus desires more than just our Sunday best. I want to be holy; I want to shine before Christ in everyway possible. And in so doing that I know that I will offend some along the way and I apologize for that, I will try to live Romans 14 to the best of my ability. I want to say that I am more in love with Jesus now as I am considered a heretic according to the status quo. I am for Jesus, His Word, His Revolution, and His Church.

"There but for the grace of God go I."

No comments: