Read chapter 2 of James again and look for yourself. It’s clear, it’s plain; Abraham was justified by his works. Now it wasn’t his works that justified him in themselves but it was because of the faith behind the works that he was found justified. God seeks a broken and contrite heart and if we are doing for Christ what we ought we are found justified, works working through faith. We do because we have faith in Christ, without faith those works are dead.In saying these things I believe that if we have faith in Christ we will do what pleases Him. And if it signifies us living a missional life within our culture for Jesus, those works working through faith will continually bring honor to God. So I believe true evangelism comes down to this: It doesn’t really matter how and what we say to share the gospel but rather it’s how we exist to represent Him.
12 comments:
BINGO!
WES IT'S EASY FOR ME TO AGREE WITH PETER BONJOVI AND HIS INTERPRETATION OF EVANGELIZING BUT FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS. IT IS EASIER FOR ME TO BE A CHRISTIAN THAN TO LET PEOPLE KNOW THAT JESUS LOVES THEM AND HE WANTS TO SAVE THEM FROM HELL.I AM NO EVANGELIST SO THIS WORKS WELL WITH MY COMFORT. I LOVE THE BOOK OF JAMES MORE THAN MOST, IT'S PROBABLY IN MY TOP 3 BOOKS OF THE BIBLE. BUT IT IS VERY TEMPTING TO BEGIN TO PRIDE YOURSELF WITH THIS BOOK AND OUR GOOD WORKS. LIVE BY IT YES IN FULL VIEW OF GALATIONS. WE CAN BE INSPIRED BY A BOOK- NO DOUBT, BUT LET US NEVER ACT LIKE WE ARE INVENTING THE WHEEL WITH IT. GOD IS SPEAKING TO US EVERY SECOND AND CAUSING US TO CONSIDER AND RECONSIDER MANY THINGS. THIS IS NOTHING NEW. IT'S PHRASED IN THE WORD AS CHEWING THE CUD. I AM CONCERNED HOWEVER WHEN PETE IS UP THERE EVERY WEEK BASICALLY SAYING LET US RETHINK EVERYTHING OVER AND OVER. I HAVE "RETHINKED" A GREAT DEAL CONCERNING WHERE THE CHURCH IS LACKING AND WHERE AND WHAT WE NEED TO IMPROVE ON. MY PROBLEM IS GOD HAS SHOWN ME THAT SOME OF THESE FOLKS WHO ARE SAYING LETS RETHINK THIS ARE REALLY SAYING KEEP "RETHINKING" UNTIL YOU THINK AS I DO. THEY MAY NOT ADMIT IT, BUT IT IS TRUE. MAY WE NEVER PREACH FROM ENVY AND STRIFE, LET US GLEAN FROM ONLY HIS FIELD- NOT FROM COMMENTARIES THAT ARE COMMENTARIES OF OLD COMMENTARIES. AND MAY WE NEVER GLEAN FROM ANYONE INCLUDING "REFORMISTS" WHO QUESTION THE BIBLE'S RELEVANCY OR ACCURACY. LEAVE THAT WEAK (DEUT. TREE FROM OUR ENEMIES) APPLICATION ALONE. IT IS DANGEROUS AND WAY TO EASY TO MANIPULATE. WES WRITE BACK ON THE LEAGUE PAGE. YOUR BOY MIKE V.
Wes, I'm really inspired because I have been taking issue with the modern day church for about 10 years now. I didn't realize that there were so many others who were thinking the same way I was until last week. Here's what I have been exploring and becoming:
A minimalist
Eccumenical
Love for philosophy (Soren Kierkegaard one of my favorites)
sick of christianese
sick of the "language games" in Christianity (see Wittgenstein)
sick of church
interested in other faiths that have "fruit"
focusing on love
my mantra is liberty
I don't like group prayer
I'm being drawn to the hymns and finding contemporary Christian music a bit bothersome
I'm sick of preaching and teaching (been in ministry now for 18 years)
I just want to paint
art is saying so much more to me these days than words
I really like Rob Bell's Nooma series
Anyway, I visited the Tri-Cities area this past summer and was wondering if there are any emergent churches in that area.
Cheers,
JP
Jp, you would be amazed to find how many are actually on a like-minded journey as yourself. My only honest concern for the Emergent Movement personally is that I can't forsake my theology. Without the foundation that I have built upon in Christ Jesus I have nothing. However, as long as I stay aware of my thoughts toward my faith I have nothing to worry about, I can still practice what Christ has taught me even in a postmodern society.
And no there aren't any Emergent churches in the Tri_Cities. Neither are there any missional, progressive, postmodern, emerging, or even relevant churches in the Tri-Cities area. Nevertheless, there is a group of us, about thiry or so, that are in the beginnings of starting a Missional community here in Kennewick, Wa. Check back or stay in contact for updates...
ecunumical=eugology same thing
oh you you didnt thinh i was a good eugoogilizer?
It's comments like that, that tend to turn people away from Chirstianity. I know it was in sarcasm but how do you know where JP really is personally with Jesus. I have come to a point in my life and faith where I become all things to all men and women. To the ecunumical as one who can relate, to the homosexual as one who will not cast judgement, to the sex offender as on who will accept and not cast away. I fear that Fundamentalist have pushed so hard that there is no longer room to minister to those that are really considered the filth of society. As for me and my house we will seek to be like Christ in all we do and say..
Wes... I love your thoughts about evangelism, especially how you sum it all up (how we exist to represent Christ). I work at Arizona State University and we have many people come to campus to "evangelize" the students in many different ways (the "screamers" who are telling everyone they are going to hell, the sweet old men handing out small bibles in a language this generation doesnt understand (KJV), others with gimmicks ("you could win an iPod if you come over and talk to me", etc.). And none of them realize that such methods not only dont work, but they leave a bad taste in everyones mouth.
It reminds me of the days when my motivation behind "evangelizing" was purely CYA... you know... "I am going to tell you about Jesus, not because I sincerely love you, but because I dont want to be blamed if you go to hell." (ezk 33)
But... I have also seen others who love, interact, and even sacrifice to serve other people purely to show them (and let them experience for themselves) the love of Christ through them. (much like the way you just hang out with that group of friends). Now that is a beautiful thing. That is real.
Anyhow.... press on, Wes. I love to hear your thoughts.
it's not comments like that turn people away from Christianity. that guy has been in the ministry for 18 years if he turns away from Christ after seeing what Christ has done for him on Calvary and in everyday situations then a sarcastic comment about a butterfly painter who watches steel magnolias is due. keep it real wes don't play it politically safe on line when that's not you in everyday speech- i'll tell you what turns folks away from Jesus -when ecumenical liberals who paint Jesus as this weak figure who changed with every trend to suit everyones desire and religous preference. as for me and my house we wont sell out and be fake on blogs mike v. your boy keeping it reeally real.
name five people who were gay that you have hung out with? or ate with? your a closet homophobic.have you ever lived with one? have you ever lived with someone who contracted hiv and full blown aids? doubt it - don't talk to me about loving gay folks when your not out there doing it- blogging doesn't count. rethinking how to love gay people doesn't count- loving gay people does. but then youll probably have a safe answer for this as well.
I lived with a repentent homosexual in the late 90's. My friends thought I was a weirdo but we built a quality friendship until he started to tell me to clean the house. Good times though, good times...
1.Bill
2.Josh
3.Mike
4.Phill
5.Jeff
All of them had full blown aids. I held their hands in public because that's just how tolerant I am. Sometimes I kissed them on the cheek before I tucked them into bed. If I hadn't lived with them I would totally would feel awful about bloging about homosexuality. You can't say anything about gay people unless you have given them a blood transfusion and watch the movie Philadelphia at least once a year.
Seriously though, you do realize that gays aren’t a separate race of people? It’s something they do, it’s not who they are. If I started having sex with apples it wouldn’t make me a different breed of human. It would make me a person who engaged in a certain behavior.
It would be like someone being offended because you said you didn’t like rollerskates. I was born with a predisposition towards rollerskating, so if you say anything bad about it you are a bigot!
Post a Comment