I am one of those bible thumping non-fundamentalist that love it when a JDub (Jehovah’s Witness) comes to the door. I get all excited. I think I get excited not necessarily to scripturally battle with them but because I get to talk spiritual things with people right at my front door. Seriously, I have had deeper theological conversations with JDub’s than with I have with most twenty something lukewarm believers. I found that I don’t tend to battle Scriptures but rather share with them the relational Jesus that I have come to know and love.And that’s what I believe as a church culture that, we have created in America and abroad, we have systematically set up a plan of attack to save the world. It’s either using the techniques of “The Way of The Master-Ray comfort”, or “The Romans Road”, and even going as far as reading word for word out of a “Chick Tract.” Now please understand I do believe that these are beneficial ways of sharing the gospel but the problem that I see is that they have become the mainline way of evangelism. We have grown to seek to hear the lost say the sinner’s prayer and end it there. But isn’t Jesus so much more than that?
I feel that we have more to offer the world than a ten minute Chick Tract. The relational Jesus that we know is so much more than a plan systematically lined out on a piece of paper. And that’s how I have begun to share Him with others. No longer do I ask people if they have ever heard the good news of the gospel or if they have ever met Jesus but relationally I ask them what they do for fun. I begin to invest in a wondering soul and spend my energy getting to know them and talk with them. I get on their level and hang out with them. I eat with them and drink with them and laugh at their jokes and make some up myself. I become their friend and they become mine. And the most insane thing this entire time they have no idea I am even a Christian.
Is this the right way to evangelize? Maybe and maybe not but all I see in the gospels was a relation Jesus. He loved people, mostly the messed up ones. He ate and drank with them and shared with them the mysteries of the Kingdom. They listened to Him and began to respect and trust Him and become His friend.
Now these guys that I am becoming conversant with are drinkers, partiers, and they cuss a lot. I confess I don’t go with them to the bars or partake in their lifestyle but when I hang out with them I talk of things in life that matter. Things like marriage, family, and work. I even use innuendos to aim toward something spiritual that maybe our conversations would stray that way. I encourage and build them up while the rest of the world tears and beats them down.
Do they wonder why I don’t cuss, nor drink, nor party? I hope so. Do they see my life and see the light? I think so. I am the only one within this group of friends that has goals, and a purpose ahead of me. These guys look at me and think that I have all my aces in a row, they wonder why I used to party like them but I don’t anymore. Do they ask? Not really. I think I have more work to do to earn their trust and transparency. But I know those days will come, those days when their life takes a turn for the worst and they look to the ones who “love” them the most.
My plan is to love them like no one else in the rest of the world does. I will encourage them to find purpose and to set goals to meet in life. And when those times in life come when they begin to wonder what it’s all about Jesus will be the one to rescue their weary souls. With or without me He will have His way. Oh how difficult it is to just invest in one life for the sake of Jesus Christ. May we all invest and become relational with our lost and dying generation…
1 comment:
I am wrestling with the same issues when it comes to evangelism. I still think sharing our faith in Christ is an absolutely essential part of what it means to be a Christian, I am convinced more than ever before the most effective way to evangelize is in the context of a well-earned trusting relationship. Real relationships with real people open the door to faith sharing opportunities like nothing else can. It is the most natural, organic, and I think biblical way of approaching evangelism.
Post a Comment