Because of his strong stance on certain issues Mark has been very vocal on his convictions. I applaud him for being so outspoken knowing he is only to please the audience of one. In that openness he makes himself vulnerable to the critics that watch his every move.Growing up in my faith as a Calvary guy I have always noticed how tight Chuck Smith has been on the things he has said. Yes, in the past there were mistakes that were made and I am sure apologizes were made but through much maturity you can now see and hear a wise man.
The sweet think about Mark is that he's still young and fiery and has a passion for Jesus. He says what he feels is the truth and later ends up getting the beat down because someone took it the wrong way. I love it. I love that there are guys out there that are willing to lay it all on the line. And I also understand those that hear it and are offended by it. Some are more sensitive than others and it's absolutely cool. We are all a bit different in the way we are packaged together.
But what makes Driscoll the man is not necessarily what he says but it's what he does when he's confronted with those that oppose him. I have seen and experienced Pastors that are opposed by others and because of that opposition the pastors retaliate because of pride and make the circumstances even worse. Or they just ignore the opposition and hope it all just goes away.
But to go to your accusers and hear their side of the spectrum and listen to their hearts on the issue and then apologize in front of the nation is the radest thing I have ever seen.
Mark you are an example to thousands of believers that are watching you, thousands. Even the apology to McLaren a while back was insane; this is a hundred times more real and transparent. Mark you are the man. Thank you for dying to yourself and letting Christ be magnified through all of this. Believe me if you keep this up Mars Hill isn't going to reach 10,000 it's going to reach millions...
Dricoll's realness here
10 comments:
Glad to see you're back. Sorry I haven't got back with you. I'm still working 7 days a week, probably this week too. And the baby should be here in the next few weeks, so I'm not sure when I'll have time, but I really want to do the Sunday thing. Anyway, e-mail me your phone number and I'll just call. Thanks bro.
Harold
hey this is the only blog youll see me on wes. you guys shortchanged me on the private one. my intention was to get it out, what was really wrong and then apologize like i did to mike b. - i put that on everything i love, instead i now feel bitterness towards your boys now more than ever. boys plural. i'm still hot but whatever, i was always an outsider anyways. i can probably thank my untrendiness and lack of tact. well it comes down to this- i would rather be hated for who i am than loved for who i am not.
I didn't mean to push you away; my bad. It's not the same without you, please come back.
well, i guess we can't always agree (i can't stand driscoll). and that's probably a good thing, because it shows that us 'outsiders' aren't all the same - and that we're thinking for ourselves and not just doing whatever brian mclaren tells us to do.
Dave, I don't agree with all that Driscoll says, I juat really liked the way that he goes about life when it gets tough...He just seems to show a lot of realness.
As a woman, I don't know. I think the raging against Mark went a little too far...in that it seemed like the only thing acceptable was for Mark to change his doctrine, not simply issue an apology...and that's just not fair. We can't tell folks they have to believe things "exactly like we do," or we've just become the fundamentalists we left, only we look "cooler." Um, no.
But on the flip side, and I know this part is hard because you're not one and it's equally unfair of me to expect you to be able to know what it's like to be female, but I do have to say Mark Driscoll seems like he has a thing against women..that same thing I grew up with, the egotistical, "we menfolks is stronger, bigger, an better, and we'll take care of you little ladies..."
It's really annoying, at least the way it comes across (I'm not even talking about a specific incident but more of a general constant feel both in speaking and in reading his writing) is really hard on my ears. I admit to wincing around him...and then just staying away permenantly.
I don't know. *shrugs* I don't need Mark to stop being a patriarchalist. He can be whatever he wants to be--it's a free country. All I can say is that Mark seems pretty arrogant most of the time, especially in regards to gender issues. I agree that he's a great preacher. But there are bigger things than great preaching in my book. And I'd like to see unbelievers offended for the right reasons.
Molly, you have a lot of sweet things to say and I love that you are down with not backing down. I can understand what you are reflecting and I know you have a passion for what you stand for. Like I said in the past, I don't agre with all the Driscoll says. I think I was really just taken back by the way he listened to his critics compared to the way other leaders in the church respond these days.
Yeah, I agree. When he apologized (for being misunderstood, which, okay, isn't QUITE the same thing as saying he did anything actually wrong, but, hey, it's still a humbling thing and takes guts!), I will admit to being really surprised and finding a whole lot of respect growing in my heart for someone I'd lost respect for. That spoke volumes for me, and I was so glad that he proved my unspoken judgement about him wrong.
Warmly,
Molly
(Merry Christmas!)
Mark is simply being who he is without apology. This is an encouraging sign. As a pastor, as someone exploring what it means to be both emergent and missional, while being faithful to Christ, I am encouraged by news of men and women of God being unashamedly passionate for Christ. Go Mark!
Mark has taught me a lot and, though we differ in views on some things (particularly the adreneline-fed get-Jesus-to-the-masses approach to church primarily vs. a more relational-neighborhood-discipleship approach as the first mode of being the church) he has taught me much through his insights, passion, conviction, and ability to be real.
This was encouraging to see. I heard about the protest from a friend of mine that is part of Mars Hill and she had a lot of good to say about the love she feels as a woman of that church (which I guess was one of the controversies). I read the whole article you linked to as well. I'm so glad that he grows in humility and not pride as his influence grows.
Post a Comment