Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Moving on up


I am in the middle of a move towards the Tri-Cities area in Southeast Washington. I have rented a 24' Budget moving truck for the expedition and we could barely get everything packed in. If the truth be told, we have way too much crap, thanks to the wife. However, the road trip has landed us at the La Quinta Inn in Wilsonville, Or. where we are staying until 9am in the morning. From here we will embark to Pasco, Wa. where Shannon, the kids and I will begin to unload the 24' monster.

I wanted to write tonight because of a thing I was tripping out on while driving on Interstate 5 today. If you spend anytime driving on the freeway you know that Truckers have a secret code that they speak to one another by blinking their lights and stuff like that. Well, to my amazement, while driving this 24' diesel of a moving truck, these Truckers were treating me like one of them.

As I passed a slower moving truck and made my way a few lengths ahead of him, he blinked his lights at me. I wondered what he did that for. Was he being a nice guy and giving me a wink? Was he saying, "Man you're so much faster than me, I'm a slowpoke?" I couldn't really understand what was going on as it happened again and again, truck after truck blinking their lights at me. So I blinked them back. I figured that it was a courteous thing to do. I didn't know what else to do.

After I got to the hotel, I did a Google search on why truckers blink their lights. I come to find out, when a trucker passes a trucker they blink when you have passed and you now have enough room to get back over to the slow lane. Little did I know I stayed in the fast lane the majority of the time and I bet the truckers just shook their heads is annoyance as I flashed them back while in the other lane. But now that I know, I will be a bit more lingual with my trucker buddies

All of that made me think of why we are annoyed with other believers that are, in a way, on a different level of their journeys than we are. We think that if they don't get it they are just a bit more dumb and ignorant to the deep understandings that we have gained. We figure that if believers are legalistic, lenient, too liberal, too strict, uptight, overly tolerant, then they are not getting it.

We speak a language that is a secret code to those that are outside of our circles. Those that hear need to do a Google search on us. Jesus spoke in parables. He did what no other could do. He made conversation simple. He spoke truth and it broke the hearts of all that listened.

No comments: