If me sharing with him my heart felt convictions of Jesus is harassment and him professing that Christ is his Savior then I suppose something is slightly wrong. I respectfully emailed back my apologies and let him know I meant no harm. Then I began to wonder.
I began to wonder what we would look like if we really loved Jesus. What would we look like if we really represented Him right? How would we change who we are to benefit those around us for the sake of Christ? What way would we be willing to reform ourselves to bring glory to God and humility to ourselves?I am so influenced by Paul when he says in 1 Corinthians, 19-23 ,”Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people: religious, nonreligious, meticulous moralists, loose-living immoralists, the defeated, the demoralized—whoever. I didn't take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ—but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I've become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life. I did all this because of the Message. I didn't just want to talk about it; I wanted to be in on it!” (MSG)
So how is it that when we profess to love Jesus we tend to rather oppose others that are not in the same boat as ourselves. We spend quality time with those that are as narrow-minded as we are and yet we much of the time care less for the others around us. I hate that type of person. And in all reality I find myself in that position more often than not. And it’s when I get a reality check from some no-named blogger that I realize I am at just as much fault as they.
Should it start with me? Should I begin to love Jesus and try to be humble in likeness with Him and then wait for others to tag along and try the same? I probably shouldn’t even worry what others think. But then again maybe I should at least try to see from their perspective.
I want the community of theemerge.com to be a place that is tolerant. Not to sin but to people, people that aren't like us. Other people with shady backgrounds, other seekers with broken families and sin so deep it looks unforgivable. I want theemerge.com to reach the broken churched of our modern culture. The believers and seekers that have no family because all their brothers and sisters do is cast their starry gaze at them in contempt. I want theemerge.com to be a place of safety and solitude and also a place of rebellion and revolt against the status quo. I want the community of theemerge.com to actually love Jesus and to be simply changed by that.
Are you willing? Willing to lay down your life for another that probably isn’t even worth it; for someone that you probably would even want to talk or dine with. Don’t you want to represent Jesus rightly?
What if the community of theemerge.com really loved Jesus? Who would come and who would go and what would we all look like? In spite of all our shortcomings and frailty I implore you all; let us love Christ Jesus. In all that we are and all that we do let us practice Jesus. In our work, our play, and our leisure let us wear Christ wherever we are; not preaching, not judging, not condemning, but rather charitable, unspoken, and commending. Let us give preference to others before we give precedence to ourselves. Let us follow our King and try our best to allow Him to mold us into who He wants us to be. And my friends, in doing this, may we persistently and in all authenticity love Jesus with all we have and with all we are. Thanks for listening...
5 comments:
"In our work, our play, and our leisure let us wear Christ wherever we are; not preaching, not judging, not condemning, but rather charitable, unspoken, and commending."
Hi Wes, I want to challenge you with this question, does Jesus Christ want us to not preach?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.
Proverbs 3:5 NLT
Hear my story:
I had an atheist friend whom I kept pushing to get saved because I always believed he was the type of guy to be saved. He was so nice! But he didn't believe in God. It seemed that he made a choice to reject God and live the way he wanted without a God (because his parents were both catholics, and so was exposed to that religion). At the same time, I was still a baby nurturing on God's words. My harvest was not ready yet. In other words, I still had to learn. Walk with God first and wait before going out to preach. I hope you will see through my story that God does not want you to give up on preaching, but trust in Him because he has a lot to teach you. God bless. lei_ai_yap_imperial@yahoo.com
When I say preaching I don't mean not sharing your faith with others, I am sorry that’s how it was received. Of course, Paul would encourage us to "Preach" the Word in season and out of season. I am only speaking about the unnecessary preaching down someone’s throat until they are sorry they ever knew you type preaching. I find that when we are continually surrounded by other believers all the time it’s hard to speak common language when we are in the world, if you and feel what I’m saying. I like this definition of the word preach - to advocate earnestly. It’s as if we are on a campaign for Christ, not just speaking about Him as we all do but showing how real and true He is. I find that James would agree when he says that we should not be hearers only but doers of the Word also. Thanks for your comment and feel free to dialogue…
As i read this I had to think of myself. The church I serve in is a church for the un/dechurched. I have to be very careful about not being to legalistic or aggressive with guest at our services. I read the question about preaching, should we? How can I not though, I as well as all of us as Christians are called into ministry. Consumed by our savior. Every word from my mouth should be loving and up lifting. with this said, I am very guilty of coming acrossed judgemental and holier than though. I"ve never meant to come across this way , but sometime when you chew meat and they are drinking milk , we have a tendency of talking over their spiritual head shall we say. And this intemadates many. Just my thoughts, and very sorry for the spelling, I'm hooked on Jesus not phonics.
Thanks for this post Wes. It seems clear and good tome. Keep at it.
Jon, I feel with what you're saying about talking over someones head is a common thing. I have ben guilty way too many times of that offense. I hope that we as believers can continually be changed to truly represent who Christ really is...
Post a Comment