Tuesday, October 03, 2006

"Evangelism - Continued"

Is evangelism really being bold to share the gospel when we feel prompted? Doesn't conversion begin with simple belief? I find in reading the book of Acts that the majority of people that condemned the Apostles were the Jews and others that were demon possessed. Most other people were willing to hear what Paul and the Apostles would say. Back then it was a new fresh thing to hear, today its history to our ears. We've all heard it before and people want something new and different. They aren't longing for Sunday church, they don't find identity in a sanctuary, and to them it is foreign.


What are they looking for? Well, it's the same thing we are all looking for, a relational Jesus. All aim is to God for patiently walking us through our experience of simple belief and through years now finally coming to maturity. But to the unbeliever, that thinks church and modern fundamentalist are the lamest ever, how do we share? Well to me, it's not by being bold but rather being relational. I know that if I spend enough quality time with an unbeliever I won't be able to hide the Light that shines through me.

I use to always pray for boldness to be able to walk up to people and ask if they have ever heard the gospel, but now to me that is so futile and so weak. Actually, it's the easy way out. When I used to do that I would feel afterward that I have accomplished something dramatic for the Kingdom of God. When in all reality I was sharing a mystery with a baby. Babies don't get it and they never will, they just look at you and spit up a little bit. I am sure seeds were planted and there is a benefit to those ways of being bold.

But how many people have you heard of that have come to know Jesus by street witnessing? Not many. Sure there are stories of how people said the sinner’s prayer and took a bible but then what, where are they now? I once led a Coast Guard to the Lord at Mission Beach in San Diego, we prayed right on the shore with the waves crashing at our feet. His name was Paul. Where is he now? I don't know, I hope he is a believer and a lover of God. I do think that these events happen and need to happen but why do we have to do it like this. Why is it an activity we do? Shouldn't our lives be a witness continually all day, every day? Christ would command, “Go and make disciples”, and “Be witnesses of me…to the ends of the earth”.

I am just waiting for the multitude to ask me, "What must we do to be saved", they see the light shinning, they know there is something different about me and until then I will continue to live out Jesus to all of them.

I will share my faith not by what I say when the opportunity comes but by what I do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said. I agree.
Susan
PS- found you through Molly's blog.

Anonymous said...

How many people have you seen come to Christ through waiting for them to ask you, rather than bringing it up to them?

I have been thinking about different ways of evangelism lately, and it seems that a combination approach would be best. For example, develop relationships, but also be bold w/in that relationship when the opportunities arise - and when the Spirit leads you.

I am just concerned that one extreme or another - extreme confrontational evangelism or extreme passivity - is not the target.

What do you think?

wes_line said...

I have shared with many people the love of Jesus without evangelizing them the way we have traditionally. I have lead people to Christ through the sinner's prayer, during alter calls, and even over the phone. However, I have personally found that personal relationships work better for me, I tend to build a continual friendship with the lost and after their understanding of Christ becomes real I have build a deep bond with the individuals. Trust is something earned and it doesn't happen overnight.

I totally agree with you Katie. I don't think we have a perfect way of sharing our faith and it seems that a balanced way of living and sharing works best. Personally, I have seen good things come from many different way of evangelism.

It would be really unwise to say that one way is the best or the only way to do it.