Friday, February 02, 2007

I was an idiot of a pastor once...

There used to be a time in my life where I would have moved hundreds of miles to just become a worship leader or hold some type of pastorial office at a church. Now, I would rather clean sewers and shovel manure than become a pastor or leader in the modern church. From where I have been it is very rare to see Jesus be the center of it all. Yeah, we may have talked about Him, shared the things He has done, and even spent time singing songs about Him, but He was never the one in control. Modern church has sucked the joy out of me, taken my passion from me, and skewed my vision.

But today is a different day. Church is more than what we make it. It’s more than bible studies and worship songs, more than pastors and secretaries, or bulletins and buildings. Modern church thought and culture is killing and suffocating the generation that is now being raised up as leaders in the church. If there is no continual reform then there is no life and the church is dead. How do we reach a culture that finds no interest in our liturgy? How do we respond to people that see our hypocrisy? We reform, we change, and we allow Christ to do it.

People need more than Moses-type wannabes that run the church as its CEO. If I am going to be a leader then we are all going to be leaders in some way or another. We all have a voice and we are going to continually let that voice be heard…change will happen, action will take place.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"We reform, we change, and we allow Christ to do it."

In what ways have you seen this played out? I'm interested in hearing.

In my few years as a Christian, I've seen many reformations. They happen in peoples' lives everyday as they walk in the Spirit and not the flesh.

wes_line said...

eric, just as you said, it happens in peoples lives. My deal is that there are many that, once they get to a certain point, stop being changed by Christ.

I find that we get stuck so much of the time in our traditions and ritual that we lose or in ina sense forget our first love.

It's nothing new, just as the church in Ephesus, we forget about Christ after we have the set program in place.

I can understand why this culture around us is so turned off by Christ when really the message of Jesus should pierce our hearts.

I think much of the time we are preaching our way of thinking and not really preaching the heart of our God...

Anonymous said...

This definitely speaks to me. I'm just in the transition between being that pastor who would have traveled anywhere to be a part of a modern church, to now saying no to those opportunities and thinking how I can be a part of starting something new.