Monday, September 11, 2006

What is the Point of Church [Part III]

I think, as I have said before, that there are many valid reasons why we attend church and yet there are many not so valid reasons why we end up going to church. First, I wrote about needing to belong and that we as people long to belong in some way or another. Then it was security and how we feel a sense of security when we attend service at a church. However, this time I want to talk about another reason why we desire to participate in a local church. I believe that we as believers and as human beings long for relationship.

Think about it. What do we do in life? Build relationships, right. Day after day, week after week we build. If it’s in the marriage or with the guys or even on the basketball court we are always being relational. In every aspect in life and in every contact we have with other humans it’s always in relation to something.

To be relational -

1. a connection, association, or involvement.
2. an emotional or other connection between people.

Jesus was the Master of relationships. I’m sure He was inviting as He walked here on earth, people always wanting Him to spend time in their home. I think it’s true that when Jesus was in your company you didn’t care about standing tall and looking good, you probably knew that He would see right through it. When He was around, you would just be real, vulnerable, and transparent because you knew He was. When I am with my wife that’s how I am because I know she doesn’t care. She knows me; we have a strong relationship that we have built on for over the last five years. When I am with a few of my closest friends we are loose in our language and comfortable in our environment. It’s not that we sit around and cuss at each other it’s just that we know that we won’t be offended when or if something inappropriate is spoken.

My point is this, we attend church for many reasons but in all importance we long to know one another. We desire to find those friends that we could communicate our thoughts with without feeling condemned or judged in any way. I believe Christianity is filled with those relationships. It’s just that’s it’s almost impossible to find it on a Sunday morning service thus the reason small groups and more intimate settings for bible study are becoming more desired as Christians maturing in their faith.

Why do we go to church; to belong, to feel secure, to build relationship maybe? Like I said, there are many reasons why, I just pray that we would think about it rather than not. The Church is an amazing body in which Christ has built and He is the most relational person I have ever met. Relationship; it's just another valid point of Church.

No comments: